Saturday, 8 January 2011

Week 1(29th Nov - 3rd Dec) - part 1

Day 1 - Day 3 (29th Nov - 1st Dec)

On 29th, I started my internship in the museum. The moment that I entered into the square, I was impressed by the incredible huge scale of the building. The new exhibition hall of the museum is currently under construction, and it will be finished and open to the public in March 2011. I was sent to Exhibition Department 1 and work for the Chief Curator named Ping Guo. I guess the museum has more then 5 departments for their exhibitions, and the Department 1 is the best and the most powerful one. The Chief Curator is my supervisor during my internship. She is a very nice person, interestingly, she has got the same last name as I have. Chinese people always say if we have the same last  name, then we probably would be families 500 years ago. So from the second I entered into the office, she is started to be called elder Guo, and I am the younger Guo.

During the first three days, they suggested me that I should be familiar with the office, the project that they have been working on and everyone that I am going to work with. So, I did nothing serious but looking around, reading some documents and trying to talk to everyone during the lunch break.

Basically, there is a massive exhibition called Ancient China is going to open when the venue is ready to open for the public. We have more then 10 curators in the team, each one of them is curating one or more then one chapters of the exhibition, and it has 15 chapters form the Stone Age to the Qing Dynasty. The curatorial team has just finished the planing part before I came, and they are going to work on the decoration part and the information part. My supervisor told me that there would be lots of wall-texts, descriptions, explanations work are waiting for me to write, design, and edit. She said not only I have to know how to use some software to accomplish the tasks, but also I should be better familiar with the history of our country and the ancient art of all different dynasties. Well, that is going to be a really challenging work for me. I mean I do know how to use those softwares that they require, but the history part...um...I must say, there is going to be lots of readings!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good!! i love Chinese history, that would be a fabulous exhibition to me~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I only just got around to reading your blog but I am already sooo impressed! What a fantastic big project to be working on. May I ask how did you arrange your internship?

    ReplyDelete